The World Marrow Donor Association (WMDA) fosters international collaboration to facilitate the exchange of high quality hematopoietic stem cells for clinical transplantation worldwide and to promote the interests of unrelated donors. The headquarters of the WMDA is in Leiden, The Netherlands and the WMDA is also incorporated in The Netherlands.
This section includes some of the governance documents, a listing of board members, nomination information and a description of the board budget committee.
- Bylaws of the WMDA (English translation of Dutch document)
- WMDA houserules
- Flowchart to describe the procedure outlined in chapter 15 of the WMDA houserules
The board is the administrative body of the WMDA and is responsible for all operations and policies of the association. The board approves recommendations of the working groups, awards accreditation, reviews the nominations and approves financial budget. The board is split up into an executive committee and an advisory committee.
WMDA board: executive committee and advisory board members
WMDA executive committee
The executive committee oversees the daily activities of the association and is usually consulted in case a quick decision is needed.
Executive committee members are:
President: William Hwang, Singapore
President-elect: Michael Boo, United States
Secretary general: Jeremy Chapman, Australia
Treasurer: Rudolf Schwabe, Switzerland
Chief Executive Officer: Machteld Oudshoorn, The Netherlands
WMDA advisory committee
The advisory committee represents small and large registries from different regions to ensure a global consensus. Therefore each working group chair serves as an advisory committee member to ensure that specific expertise is present in the advisory committee. The advisory committee meets twice a year. The executive committee updates the advisory committee about their work and activities.
Europe and Africa:
Vice President: Carlheinz Mueller, Germany
Secretary: Etienne Baudoux, Belgium
North and South America:
Vice President: Dennis Confer, United States
Secretary: Luis Fernando de Bouzas, Brazil
Asia and Pacific Islands:
Vice President: Edward Yang, Taiwan
Secretary: Pawinee Kupatawintu, Thailand
Working Group Chairs:
Clinical: Bronwen Shaw, United Kingdom
Cord Blood: Sergio Querol, Spain
Donor Registries: Thomas Bart, Switzerland
Ethics: Anne-Marie van Walraven, The Netherlands
Information Technology: Martin Maiers, United States
Quality Assurance: Alexander Schmidt, Germany
Past president: Eliane Gluckman, France
President-emeritus: Jon van Rood, The Netherlands
The WMDA has established a nominating committee that oversees the nominations. The members of the nominating committee are:
- Mike Boo, United States, Chair
- Etienne Baudoux, Belgium
- Luis Fernando de Bouzas, Brazil
- Terry Schlaphoff, South Africa
- Pawinee Kupatawintu, Thailand
The tasks of the nominating committee are:
- To seek suitable candidates for the various vacant positions. The Nominating Committee should take action where necessary to identify nominees, so that no positions remain vacant.
- To take into account the criteria for WMDA Officers (the balance of donor registry, transplant centre (3:2), different geographical regions, new members are preferred, involvement in the WMDA, willingness to seve).
- To decide whether an incomplete nomination or a late nomination is valid or invalid.
- To review all nominations prior to distribution of the ballots.
- To review the tally of votes cast for each position prior to announcement of the election results.
Twice a year nominations are organized:
- Nominations in January: nominations for the working group chair and the vice chair positions as well as the S(P)EAR Committee positions
- Nominations in June: nominations for the WMDA board positions and the members of the Accreditation Committee and the Standards Committee
The WMDA houserules outline the nominations process. You can download two documents to read the names of the current officers, working group chairs, vice chairs and committee members:
The WMDA has also developed a nomination form for people that you would like to nominate for the position of honorary member. An honorary membership is a lifelong privilege and implies the same privileges as an individual membership. The Honorary Membership is open to individuals distinguished in their field of expertise who have made a material contribution to the advancement of unrelated haemotopoietic stem cell transplantation in their support of unrelated haematopoietic stem cell registries through the World Marrow Donor Association.
Currently the WMDA has one honorary member: Susan Cleaver, United Kingdom.
Board Budget Committee
The board budget committee oversees all financial issues regarding WMDA. They meet to develop the budget for the coming year and to discuss all financial issues (corporate sponsors, insurance, non-paying members, appointment financial reviewers).
Annually two WMDA members are requested to audit the bank acoount and all financial transactions of the WMDA and whether the financial report made by the WMDA Office is correct. These two members who take care for the financial review are identified by the board budget committee and approved at the WMDA general membership meeting.
The members of the board budget committee are:
Rudolf Schwabe, Switzerland, chair
Lydia Foeken, The Netherlands
William Hwang, Singapore
Mike Boo, United States
Alan How, United Kingdom
Carlheinz Mueller, Germany
Claudia Rutt, Germany
Last update: 09:34 25/03 2013